Pensions generally have to be paid when the employee has reached the retirement age. The Afghan Labor Law and the Regulation on Pension Rights for Employees stipulate the following conditions regarding the employee’s eligibility to retire:
- The employee reached the age of 65 and the work period has not been extended;
- The employee has been employed for at least 40 years.
- If the employee is engaged in arduous work, one year shall be deducted from the period mentioned under b. above for every five years of employment.
- If the employee is engaged in hazardous work, two years shall be deducted from the period mentioned above for every five years of employment.
- The employee may request early retirement after 25 years of service, which the employer may reject at its own discretion.